Next.js Complex State Management Patterns with RSC
Learn how server components work in Next.js and how you can use them to share state between the client and server. Learn the best way to architect pages by combining server and client components and improve the overall performance and UX of your apps.
- 3.0 / 5 (12 ratings)
2 hrs 56 mins
You can take the course from anywhere in the world, as long as you have a computer and an internet connection.
Learn at your own pace, whenever it's convenient for you. With no rigid schedule to worry about, you can take the course on your own terms.
Join a vibrant community of other students who are also learning with Next.js Complex State Management Patterns with RSC. Ask questions, get feedback and collaborate with others to take your skills to the next level.
Learn in a cohesive fashion that's easy to follow. With a clear progression from basic principles to advanced techniques, you'll grow stronger and more skilled with each module.
What You Will Build In This Course
Learn the Best Practice and Architectural Patterns Behind React Server Components and Client Side Components
How server components work
How to combine server and client components to improve page loading times
How to use props to share state from server to client components
How cookies can be used as state storage
How to take advantage of hydrated state to share state between client and server components
Complex State Management in Next.js 13+ with Server and Client Components
Sharing and managing state between server and client components is not trivial, especially with the limited information available online. This course will take you through all the basics you need to answer the question:
How do I share state between server and client components in Next.js?
Module 1: Intro & Getting Started
Begin your journey by understanding the essentials of Next.js 13+ and state management.
- Overview: Get an introduction to the core principles and concepts of Next.js 13+. Familiarize yourself with the course structure, the instructor's background, and the tools you'll be using.
- Goals: Set clear expectations about what the course will cover, including fundamental problems related to state sharing between server and client components.
Module 2: State
Understanding the heart of React applications: state.
- General Concept of State: Dive into what state really means in the context of web applications. Explore how state affects the design and functionality of your app.
- Local vs Global State: Master the differences and applications of both local and global state to make informed decisions in your coding practice.
- Management Techniques: Get to grips with various strategies and tools for managing application state, including popular third-party libraries.
Module 3: Client Components
Dissect Client Components and unravel their role within Next.js.
- Component Structure: Break down the anatomy of client components, learning how to create them and understanding their role within the application.
- Capabilities and Limitations: Examine what client components can do, understanding their scope and limits, and what is reserved for server components.
- Proper Utilization: Develop a keen sense for the appropriate use of client components, paying special attention to interactivity and dynamism. Wrap up with a quiz to reaffirm your knowledge on client components.
Module 4: Server Components
Unveil the capabilities and edge of using Server Components in Next.js.
- Understanding Server Components: Define what server components entail and their architecture, emphasizing state-related functions and limitations.
- Contrasting with SSR: Compare server components to traditional server-side rendering and understand when and why server components offer an advantage.
- Best Practices: Learn to discern when it's most appropriate to use server components, and explore the "server-land" where certain server-side actions take place. A checkpoint with a pop quiz will round up the module, cementing your understanding of server components.
Module 5: Page Architecture
Review and refine the structures that make up your Next.js applications.
- Maximizing Performance and Simplicity: Explore the design patterns that allow you to make the most of Next.js features, leading to optimized performance and simplicity in your project structure.
- Practical Application: This module revisits the concept of page architecture, providing more complex and practical examples of how to partition components for scalability and maintainability.
Module 6: Sharing State between Client and Server Components
Integrating the dual realms of Next.js, bringing together server and client component state management.
- Identifying the Problem: Delve into the nuances of managing and sharing state in server components, identifying when it differs from client-side state management.
- Cross-Component Communication: Learn how to efficiently pass state and props between server and client components.
- Working with Cookies and HTTP Requests: Gain hands-on experience with cookies as a mechanism for shared state, and leveraging HTTP requests to sync state across the server-client divide.
By the end of this course, participants will acquire a comprehensive understanding of managing state within Next.js 13+ applications, effectively using both the server and client components to build robust, scalable, and maintainable web applications.
Sample Course Lessons
Course Syllabus and Content
3 Lessons 17 Minutes
4 Lessons 32 Minutes
- Sneak Peek00:08:51
- Sneak Peek00:05:51
- Sneak Peek00:07:43
- Sneak Peek00:10:04
3 Lessons 23 Minutes
- Sneak Peek00:06:18
- Sneak Peek00:03:35
- Sneak Peek00:13:27
3 Lessons 29 Minutes
- Sneak Peek00:12:16
- Sneak Peek00:08:09
- Sneak Peek00:09:03
Improving Page Architecture
1 Lesson 27 Minutes
- Sneak Peek00:27:51
Sharing State Between Client and Server
4 Lessons 42 Minutes
- Sneak Peek00:04:19
- Sneak Peek00:10:30
- Sneak Peek00:14:30
- Sneak Peek00:13:36
1 Lesson 2 Minutes
- Sneak Peek00:02:38
Meet the Course Instructor
Purchase the course today
Get lifetime access to this course
- Discord Community Access
- Full Transcripts
- Money Back Guarantee
newline Pro Subscription
Get unlimited access to the course, plus 60+ newline books, guides and courses. Learn More
Charged monthly. Free to cancel anytime
- Discord Community Access
- Full Transcripts
- Money Back Guarantee
- Unlimited access to 60+ newline Books, Guides and Courses
- Interactive, Live Project Demos for Every newline Book, Guide and Course
- Complete Project Source Code for Every newline Book, Guide and Course
- Best Value 🏆
newline-basic-subscription-monthly. Please contact [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is this course for?
This course if for front-end and back-end developers who want to learn how server components works and how they interact with client state
What if I need help?
You can ask us questions anytime through the community Discord channel or by sending us a message.